cowboy cookies

This is the recipe made popular by Laura Bush and I must say they are one of the best cookies I have ever eaten. And that is saying something! My husband came in from work and headed straight for the kitchen where these were cooling. In between “uuuummmm” and “wow” I heard “these won’t last long.” He doesn’t know I snuck some away for his lunches all week long. I know your family is going to love these, too.

This recipe makes 5 dozen large, chewy cookies.

1 1/2 cups butter, softened

1 1/2 cups white sugar

1 1/2 cups brown sugar

3 eggs

1 Tbs. vanilla

3 cups flour

1 TBS. baking powder

1 TBS. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

1 TBS. cinnamon

3 cups chocolate chips

3 cups rolled oats

2 cups coconut

2 cups chopped pecans

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat. Add all dry ingredients until blended. Stir in remaining ingredients. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Roll dough in balls a little smaller than golf balls. (12 to large cookie sheet; 1/4 cup measure is perfect for two cookies) Bake exactly 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Watch your oven closely to be sure the cookies do not get too brown but they will be very soft when you take them out. Allow to cool 15 minutes on cookie sheet before you take them off. Finish cooling on rack.  Bon appetit, little lady.

Comments

I have been making these since they came out in the 2000 Family Circle magazine back when I was a new bride! They make so many I often freeze the dough for another day. You also need a REALLY BIG bowl.

The newest edition has the cookie recipes of the two prospective first ladies (and even the possible first husband) so that you can vote for your favorite. Amazingly, whoever won the cookie contest, her husband won the Whitehouse. It’s fun.

That pic looks like he’s saying:

“Fork over the cookies, little lady, or you’ll be pushing up daisies!”

uh oh…I think my waistline is in danger. (And my husband’s too.) It’s my one flaw…chocolate. And oats! Oh my…

I decided that these would be great to use for ice cream sandwiches, too. You could freeze them in sandwich bags….what a fun surprise for the little guys.

5. sarah: Egalitarian Feminist says

FYI for fellow gluten intolerant/celiacs, Bob’s Red Mill sells ELISA certified gluten free oats, so we can try this recipe, too. My local health food store sells these oats. I believe you can order them online as well.

6. Jerzy says

Hi Karen,

These look delish! And if John Wayne recommends them . . . well, pilgrim, how can we refuse?

Are there special directions for high altitude? I FINALLY perfected the Tollhouse recipe using whole wheat (I was beginning to think something was wrong with me that I couldn’t bake the easiest chocolate chip cookie recipe in the world!) High altitudes produce crazy cookies! (And we’re not just talkin’ about patriocentrists and prairie muffins. Maybe it’s the lack of oxygen! 😉 )

P.S. Your bruschetta has become a staple at our house. You’ve been awarded the “Golden Spoon” by our family!