i am about to change your life

artisan bread book

A year or so ago I bought a used copy of this book on bread baking.  Having baked bread regularily for more than 30 years, I was somewhat skeptical as I leafed through the pages, realizing that the method the authors described defied all the rules I had learned to embrace.

Then, a few weeks ago, Katie, a kindred spirit whose blog I love to read, posted a video using these same methods so I pulled my book off the shelf and decided to give it a go.

Today, I am a believer…I baked three of the most delicious and perfect loaves of artisan bread I have ever tasted.  The crusts are crunchy and tasty, the inside is delicious and wonderful without even butter or jam!  I can’t wait to experiment with sandwiches, pizzas, and different recipes to serve with different soups.  Oh, and as as soon as the first batch was done, I whipped up a double batch to store in the fridge for tomorrow and the day after.  One of the book authors says that the dough can keep for 14 days and later loaves are even better, sometimes taking on the quality of sourdough.  I am not kidding, this simple technique has changed my life!  (Did I mention the bread is fat and sugar free and only has 4 ingredients?!)

Enjoy this tutorial!

Comments

1. Deanne says

I LOVE this Artisan bread..although have yet to buy the cookbook, a friend sent me a website with the basic recipe. I have made the bread for several months… but the biggest hit in my household has been the Pizza Crust recipe I created with it…by far the best pizza crust I have ever made…and I have tried many many recipes!!

just back from france after 3 months abroad… and I so want to make this….
    why??
    I am missing that beautiful, vibrant, crust, and moist, fluffy delicate middle….
    oooo, I think i could go back……….
    thaanks for sharing!!!!!
    missing the delicious….

Deanne, I just read about making the pizza. Imagine, pizza dough in the fridge to pull out, put on a pan, top and bake whenever they want it! I can’t wait to bake my way through the whole book…the guys will be thrilled!

4. thatmom says

aika, welcome back to the US. What an awesome opportunity for your kids!

I know what you mean about missing the breads of Europe. This recipe is exactly like what you would pick up at a corner bakery only BETTER! Let me hear how yours turns out!

Just wanted to say that I toasted this bread for breakfast and it was fantastic.

Next I will try the recipe that calls for adding whole wheat and rye flours.

6. Deanne says

Karen, I would LOVE to have the books Pizza Recipe (to compare to my expirement!LOL)
    Did you know that you can buy Artisan flour (King Arthur brand) It is amazing!! Whole wheat worked ok when I tried it, but a bit more dry and flaky. The King Arthur Artisan flour is wonderful–well worth the expense 🙂 I usually mix it w/ WW to make it healthier.

Did you know the authors have a blog with a bunch of hints and tricks? (Found it when looking for a way to make it without buying a baking stone. . .)

This is very inspiring to me. . . Life has been such that we’ve let some of the important things go by the wayside, and I’m ready to change that.

I am glad to have the links….this bread recipe is amazing and I want to learn more.

I have tried using the basic recipe but adding a little olive oil in shaping the crust for pizza and it was delicious. My only problem at this point is that I really need a pizza peel to transfer the shaped loaves to the stone in the oven.

This week I intend to try the pumpernickel version for BLT’s made with garden fresh tomatoes.

TG, this WAS an inspiration. My family really loves homemade bread and sometimes it requires more time and energy than I have. This method has proven to be so simple that I don’t feel overwhelmed. And in the summer we tend to like sandwiches so this is a perfect compliment to that.

I also discovered that the basic recipe toasted tastes like English muffins (or crumpets as my mom calls them).

10. admin says

I just got this book for my daughter for her birthday…waiting to hear her results, too.

Hi, I also bake artisan bread, but never tried the “5 min. a day” bread. I use whole grain and sourdough. Since I switched from white flour to whole grain I feel so much better.

And speaking of the artisan breads, I visited my son in Nashville over the weekend and made up a batch for him. We baked the first two loaves and they were a huge hit with him and his friends. I left him with dough in the fridge for 6 more loaves and the instructions for baking them. A new artisan bread baker has been born!