summer is gone; time to get cozy

Carousel on the Mall in Washington D.C.

Yes, I do believe summer has whizzed right by us at record speed!

I have started pulling out the fall recipes, thinking ahead to large groups of many boys (and some girls, though we definitely are in the minority) feasting around a Thanksgiving table. This is one of my favorite recipes from the Farm Journal Cookie Cookbook, circa 1971. The pages are covered with sticky spots and notes my daughter made when she was about 12 and beginning to enjoy baking. I first made these bars when we were living in Germany and I wanted to send Clay a goodie package to England where he was in field training. They have been a favorite ever since!

Spicy Apple Bars

1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
¼ tsp. ground cloves
1 c. quick-cooking rolled oats
1 ½ Diced peeled apples
½ cup chopped walnuts

Cream together shortening and sugar until light qand fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add next 8 ingredients and mix well. Stir in oats, apples and walnuts. Spread in a greased 9 X 13 pan.
Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes. Cool slightly in pan. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into squares. This is also delicious served warm and topped with vanilla ice cream.

Comments

1. Kim Anderson says

Hi Karen! I think I will try this recipe to send to Erick at Grace, (and it’s his birthday coming up). Since you said you sent them to Clay, it must be a good recipe to mail…Sounds good! Thanks!

Hope you are well!

Kim, I am sure Erick will love these. The Cowboy Cookies also ship well. I made them several times for Ben. Now he has a wife and I don’t need to do this! 😉

These sound yummy! Do you ever sub oil for the shortening?

Fall is my favorite time of year. We had 77 days of 90 degree weather this summer so fall is especially welcomed this year!

Cheri, I always use butter in this recipe. (I never used shortening in a can except butter flavored Crisco for pie crust, which I don’t make often and that are the best ever this way!) I have used oil in pumpkin bread and it is wonderful that way. If you try oil in this recipe, let me know. Good to see you back in blogland,btw!!!

5. Lorene says

Just bought the apples so I can make these to send to my EOD son in the Navy. He just returned back from Iraq. Look so yummy. Thanks. I have enjoyed every one of your recipes that I have tried.

Lorene, I am sure he will love them. I love sharing recipes….so much fun to cook for sons, isn’t it? I’m already taking orders for the holidays, asking the guys what they want to eat. This year I hear the girls are planning to prepare an Indian feast while they are here. That is exciting, too!