a little perspective on what matters

Me in 1959 heading to first grade.

Yesterday, my mom was reminiscing about her sister, Edith, who passed away a couple years ago and I remembered something I had written about her at the time. I think it is fitting to bring it out again for several reasons. First, those of us who live in Illinois have been feeling some real threats from our legislature regarding homeschooling freedoms over the past few months and they appear to continue during the remaining weeks of this legislative session. We need to keep in mind the real threats to our goals as homeschooling families. Secondly, the disagreements between Ken Ham and Great Homeschool Conventions continue and, whatever the details may be and the alliances that are being made, I have been disappointed in the past couple of years in Ham’s take on the Barna research that he believes points the finger at Sunday schools as the reasons so many young adults abandon the faith when they leave home. I think that is poppycock. And, finally, I can always tell when people have been attending homeschooling and other conferences with those who promote a family integrated church agenda because my downloads of the articles I wrote sharing the pros and cons of the movement start to skyrocket; those numbers have gone out the roof the past couple of weeks! So, here are some thoughts at the point where these issuses intersect, at least in my mind today!

I recently picked up my copy of Raymond and Dorothy Moore’s 1988 Home School Burnout, a book I had not read since the year is was published and I was homeschooling 3 children, had one toddler, and a newborn contributing to my own burnout potential. I will soon be interviewing both the Moore’s daughter, Kathie, and Ellen Dana from the Moore Academy for a series of podcasts, and wanted to refresh my memory about some of the things that had impacted my own early years as a homeschooler, thanks to the Moores and their research.

One point that was made in the early part of the book was the idea that some homeschoolers tend to see the government education system or even public school teachers as the enemy of home education and I must admit that there have been times when it has been difficult not to agree with that. But over the past couple of days I have thought long and hard about whom the real enemy is and why identifying the real threat to home schooling is crucial, especially as we define and seek to participate in multi-generational faithfulness as homeschooling parents. As always happens, the Lord provided me with a real example to teach me what He wanted me to know.

On Sunday afternoon, my Aunt Edith passed away. She was almost 88 years old and spent most of her life as an evangelist to children. Her obituary will be in the paper this week and will say that she taught public school for decades but in reality, she spent those years giving testimony of her faith in Jesus Christ to several generations of children. My Aunt Edith practiced multi-generational faithfulness. While the Lord gave her one physical daughter, she also gave her hundreds of spiritual sons and daughters because of her commitment to proclaiming the Gospel message of Jesus within the school systems of Central Illinois.

My mom, her younger sister, remembers when Edith traveled along miles of gravel and dirt roads to teach K-12 in country schools. Having only graduated from high school at that point, she began taking college classes in order to fulfill the legal requirements for teaching and eventually graduated and received a teaching certificate. Most of her career was spent teaching first graders, the age she most delighted in throughout her entire life.

Edith was married to her first husband for 25 years until he died of cancer. A few years later she remarried and she and her husband, Sam, began to have a vision for Child Evangelism Fellowship. I remember her sharing with me that she had started to see so many little ones in her classrooms who were from broken and dysfunctional homes that her heart was stirred to minister to them any way that she could. So she opened her home to Good News Clubs, each week inviting dozens of neighborhood children into a refurbished basement, complete with small tables and chairs, flannel graph boards, toys, and games. There they were shown the love of Christ, given homemade snacks, and were challenged with the message of God’s grace.

When she and Sam married, Sam, a widower, had moved into her home but had kept his house in a neighborhood of Peoria that was slowly being taken over by drug use and gang violence. Undaunted, Edith decided they ought to open another Good News Club in that neighborhood and so they did, welcoming in dozens more children, sharing the good news of salvation. Many more came to Christ and some brought their parents along to hear, too.

When the Supreme Court ruled in 1962 that prayer was to be banned from public school classrooms, Edith knew that, as a Christian, she could not comply and continued to prayer aloud over her students every day until she retired decades later. God honored her faithfulness and protected her, no student or parent ever questioning her practice. And because of her outspoken proclamation of the Gospel message, several generations of children within her school were introduced to the Savior.

My Aunt Edith had been raised by a mother who read the Word of God, my own grandmother who also shared her love of the Word with me. The Lord gave her a life-long calling to evangelism that she purposed to fulfill whenever and wherever she could, her greatest mission field being the public school system.

But not once in the years we homeschooled did I ever sense or hear a negative word about homeschooling from her. In fact, she treated me as a colleague, often offering curricula or fun projects from her files for me to share with my children. She was excited about homeschooling and the potential she saw that it held for children. She became one of the biggest cheerleaders I had for homeschooling and her encouragement went beyond me to families in her church who also had chosen this path.

One day she shared with me that she had been raking the leaves in her front yard when a middle-aged man with his son stopped by and asked her if she was the same lady who used to have all the children come to her house for Bible lessons. Nodding to him, he went on to tell her that he had attended one of her Good News clubs as a child and how much it had changed his life. Looking at his little boy, my aunt was overwhelmed with God’s goodness and faithfulness in furthering His Kingdom through even another generation.

My Aunt Edith had never heard the phrase “militant fecundity” yet she loved children and welcomed all she could into her home and her life. If she had heard the phrase “multi-generational faithfulness,” I am certain she would also have boldly stated that the faithfulness comes from God’s hand rather than from any works we might do. Yet, in her faithfulness as an evangelist to the little ones in her neighborhood and in her classrooms over the years, the Lord brought many to Himself, not for the glory or agenda of any man but for His glory alone.

As readers of the series of articles I did on the family integrated church movement know, I have a heart for home discipleship and believe it is a vital aspect of what we do as Christian parents, especially as homeschooling parents who are seeking to put Deuteronomy 6 into practice every single day. But I believe that God is so much bigger than what we do or do not do within His redemption plan, including how He chooses to bring others to Himself.

According to some, age segregated Sunday school for little ones flies in the face of multi-generational faithfulness. To them, youth groups of all kinds, Good News Clubs, camps, and AWANA are all part of a Darwinian plot against the family. But I would say emphatically that their definition of multi-generational faithfulness is skewed and is used to define all sorts of things that my Aunt Edith would never have considered as crucial to the lives of those who seek to follow Christ from generation to generation. Preaching Jesus and Him crucified and purposing to make disciples who love Him, reflecting His faithfulness to us, and to love their neighbors as themselves would most likely be her definition. It would be mine as well.

Comments

1. Anthea says

Hello Karen

Thanks for reposting this testimony.

I have reservations about the “No Sunday School” movement, since I came from a non-Xian home and was introduced to Jesus through Sunday School and the Christian Union run in our school. (I’m sure you know that in the UK a teacher may run a Bible Club in school, and many children learn about Jesus that way. There are also discipleship clubs in some of the bigger schools.)

However, I would like to clarify something in your introduction. In his book, ‘Already Gone’, Ken Ham does not attack Sunday Schools, but bad teaching in Sunday Schools. His argument is that if the leader in the class does not show the evidences for the gospel and authority of Scripture, then it’s hard to counteract what’s being taught in schools (which is where most children are Monday to Saturday). In addition, the impression can be left that faith in Christ is a fuzzy matter with no substance behind it. In the book, he praises Sunday School leaders and gives them (and parents and pastors) tips in the Appendix of the book on how to improve what they teach. The research he used was not Barna’s, but a specially-commissioned study. Mr Ham states that he was shocked by some of the results, for example how young children were when they began to question the Bible, and the apparently deleterious effect of Sunday School. Unfortunately I cannot provide direct quotations, since I have lent out my copy of ‘Already Gone’.

Also Answers in Genesis produces materials for Holiday Clubs/VBS — so they seem to be focusing on encouraging and equipping children’s workers, rather than telling them to stop their activities.

It’s possible that Ken Ham seems to be against Sunday School because of the company he keeps. He sometimes speaks at conferences with FIC enthusiasts, such as Voddie Baucham and Doug Phillips. For me, that is more of a problem that the contents of the book. I am quite alarmed at that.

Since Jesus wanted workers for the harvest, I would presume that he wanted them everywhere that children can be found. Thank you for the reminder about that — and the charming photo of a younger Karen Campbell!

I am hesitant to comment on a book I haven’t read in entirety myself, but I guess it’s okay to share my husband’s perspective on it. His main concern with it wasn’t with it’s conclusions about who was to blame for whatever perceived deficit of faith or knowledge was “causing” young adults to leave the church in adulthood; rather, my husband disagreed with the proposed solution–that we need to pump kids and teens full of apologetical arguments, and this would somehow save them. Neither I nor my husband are against apologetics and think it’s good to train people to defend there faith with intelligence (teaching the doctrine of inspiration, authority, and sufficiency of Scripture goes without saying); however, Scripture is emphatically clear that wise words and sage arguments are not effective for salvation (1st Corinthians 1-2); it’s a work of the Spirit. In line with this, my husband was bothered that the book seemed to place apologetical knowledge in priority above a real understanding of the “declarations and obligations” of the gospel (if I can borrow Fitzpatrick’s and Johnson’s terms from Counsel From the Cross), which in the truly regenerate Christian aid in real sanctification (also ultimately a work of the Spirit, not man).

My husband saw the fruits of the book’s teaching playing out in the Christian high school where he worked. The students’ Bible class curriculum had all been altered to prioritize apologetical argumentation in every grade level instead of teaching about the gospel, the overarching themes of Scripture, and godly living. This was done intentionally because the superintendent had read that book and come to believe that apologetical teaching would bridge the gap he rightly perceived between the students’ professions of faith and their practical living. After a few years of this, the class that had had the bulk of this specialized training was known as, shall I say, profiting the least, at least in terms of the super’s objective; they knew the arguments cold, and would debate with them with gusto–but the impact on their sanctification as a whole? Not too encouraging. My husband said the real problem was simple; he found when he asked students basic questions about the gospel and sanctification, most of the kids gave him blank stares, and the fair share of others gave cockeyed answers that betrayed a shocking level of (mis)understanding about the basic truths of Scripture. They honestly just didn’t know much about the gospel, and certainly didn’t understand how it was supposed to affect their lives (or that it even should).

While a person’s curiosity about theism may be piqued by a good apologetical argument, and while their confidence (sense of wisdom) might be bolstered (puffed up) by mastering these arguments themselves, apologetics is no substitute for the work of the Spirit through the sound and faithful preaching of the gospel. For kids and young adults, of course, it’s incredibly important that their teachers (parents, pastors, youth workers, and older believers in their faith communities) model the gospel to them with all the grace, truth, and love they have to offer. While another person’s faith and testimony can’t save a child, it can certainly encourage or discourage one’s faith. Kids and teens are looking for evidence of the power of the cross, surely, but they find–or lose–a great bulk of it in the lives of those adults who claim to be ruled by it.

While I appreciate your thoughtful article I must respectively disagree. Your Aunt Edith sounds like a wonderful God fearing woman that truly loved children. And while at her meetings she kept it Christ centered, most church groups do not. I have seen Sunday schools firsthand and it is hard pressed to see them teach the bible. I am not talking veggie tales and fluff, I am talking true down to earth Bible. I also have talked to many parents whose children attend youth groups and they are nothing but social clubs. Oh they might pray and mention God in passing but most of them are nothing but social clubs. More young ladies have walked away damaged from so called youth clubs. so while I am sure there are some good loving people out there and maybe even a couple decent youth groups it is not enough for me to allow my precious children and teens to attend.
    However I do respect your view and hope that you can respect mine.

God bless
    Kathy

Anthea, I am trying to find my copy of Already Gone to post a quote that I found quite troubling but mine is also out! Will post when I get it back….I am trying to find out where Ken Ham stands on the patriocentricity issue, specifically what he teaches about Genesis 1-3. If anyone comes across CD messages or writings on these things, please send them my way.

Jen, these are such good insights. I agree that head knowledge isn’t the solution, it is only part of the equation. Think about how this looks if we apply it to relationships with others…having only head knowledge of each other without the heart issues to match them! It spells disaster in our dealings with each other!

One thing that has troubled me is the number of homeschooled young people who train in debate skill, learning all the ways to “get” an opponent and to argue someone to death. I have seen my share of arrogant and know-it-all homeschoolers who think winning an arguement is the same as winning someone into the Kingdom, something no human being can do anyway! Often this attitude is extended to adults and I have even heard some misuse Psalm 119:99 “I am wiser than all my teachers, because I think about your rules” to support this attitude!

This is one reason I highly recomment basic public speaking skills for young people instead of debate and have been teaching these classes in the past few years. There are more important skills to learn that will help someone present a clear case for the Gospel message: thoughtful organization of ideas that are well researched, articulate expression to others in a gracious manner, and expressing a genuine love for others that is learned by repeatedly sharing your ideas with them in an atmosphere of evaluation and acceptance. Combined with a genuine love of Christ, these students are a delight to everyone!

Hi Kathy!

I don’t know if you have read my series of articles on family intergrated churches, but I share my own concerns on the very things you have mentioned.

After both visiting and being a part of a number of churches that are rejecting these sorts of groups (at least in name…I see an awful lot of stuff that looks like “youth groups” to me where a bunch of kids get together and do stuff, though they preach against “youth groups”….not sure how they explain this) I have come to see issues that I think are more problematic for families than Sunday school, AWANA, etc. I hope you will take some time to read through those articles.

Another good resource for examinating this is the interview I did with
    John Stonestreet from Summit Ministries. He is also a homeschoolng dad.

I really appreciate the balance John brings to the topic. One thing that came out in our discussion is that it is difficult to expect young people to have genuine Biblical worldviews (not paradigms labled as such) when their parents do not have them themselves and in many cases neither does the pastor. John shares and analyzes those sad stats. Hope you will take a few minutes and listen to them.

7. Pressing On says

Thank you for publishing this.

As one who has and works with teens, I agree with your assessment. Programs or not, if they don’t grasp the love of Jesus, they will indeed be drawn away. It is not about what we do, but WHO we point to.

8. Anthea says

Hello all

When I read Mr Ham’s book, he noted that the research (and the book) were targeted at churches which are bible-believing, orthodox places. There was an assumption that these churches were *already* telling children about the gospel and encouraging them to repent and believe. The thesis of the book is *not* that our preaching of the gospel should be replaced by apologetics or fancy arguments, but that we undermine our efforts (and work against the Holy Spirit’s ministry of convicting sinners)when we do even little things, such using the term ‘Bible stories’. That resonated with me, because I knew that little ones assume that a story is fictional, whereas an adult might use an expression such as, ‘the story of the French Revolution’. If a local headteacher overreacted to the book, that’s a little like someone who doesn’t read the instructions from a recipe book or uses inferior ingredients. Sometimes people who are looking for The Magic Bullet will run wild with an idea after reading a book, however carefully the author articulates his ideas.

I have done little things, such as showing children in Sunday School a photograph of Nebuchanezzar’s palace, before telling them of Daniel in the lion’s den. It made it clear that this happened in a real place to a real king. There are lots of great resources such as http://www.lifeintheholyland.com

Jen mentioned apologetics — I agree that fancy intellectual evidence does not save anyone, and in the latest Answers magazine AiG reiterate that point. However we cannot let Satan snatch the word from little ones. My children are 8 and 5 — the age that Ken Ham’s book noted was more crucial than most churches realise. So a little goes a long way at this age. A few photos that show the Bible is real, a few little comments, such as: “Some people say that these things never happened, but did you know that one day archaeologists dug a hole in the ground, and guess what they found?” All I am doing is pre-empting the lies of the world and getting in my story first.

(BTW, I am thoroughly spoiled rotten, since we can pop down to the British Museum, sometimes using a book such as Footsteps of the Past: The Old Testament in the British Museum. To stand in front of a frieze from an Abyssinian palace, or the Rosetta Stone, to handle a denarius at the ‘see and touch’ table … I know what an impact that can make.)

These activities do not replace proclaiming or living out the gospel — that’d be daft!
    I didn’t read Ken Ham’s book looking for The Magic Bullet. I think there are some interesting insights, some useful ideas, and I read it in that spirit. I am sure that I could find a paragraph or a sentence with which I’d disagree, but it’s not a big issue for me, since Ken Ham is generally sound.

For example, he has frequently expressed real concerns about state schools, but book does not hammer on at us to pull our children out of school — in fact, ‘Already Gone’ challenged the idea that homeschooled children are less likely to fall away from the faith. I found that very interesting, since many blogs and speakers were very keen to tell us just that in the months prior to ‘Already Gone’ appearing in the shops.

Jen’s references to Scripture show us where we need to turn for guidance and clarification in all these matters. Nowhere does the NT show an either/or approach.

Anthea, you just brought something to mind from my childhood I hadn’t thought of in years! In the primary grade Sunday school department, there was a little house someone had built for us to play with. It was painted brown and had a flat roof like the ones talked about in the Bible. It certainly made lessons about the man being lowered through the ceiling to be healed by Jesus come alive. We were allowed to play with it and I can remember acting out those stories! This is one reason I always enjoyed Bible school as a child, too, because the teachers spent a couple weeks at a time making those stories come alive.

You mentioned the ages between 5-8, to….my mom and dad taught a 3-4th grade SS class for years and loved how eager that age was to learn. They believed in hands-on learning, too, and were always dreaming up creative ways for their students to experience the truth of the Gospel message. I think the most doctrinally sound and compassionate SS teachers belong in this age group!

10. jennie says

I have been convinced that directly confronting error puts people off significantly. I agree so much wiht what you all are saying. Apologetics does not always leave room for love. Coming along side someone with the truth and letting them see their error themselves is preferable. What is even more powerful is testimony. We shall overcome by the blood of the lamb and the words of our testimony:) Also this scripture comes to mind.

2Tim2

23But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

24And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

25In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

26And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

My husband is another example of apologetics gone wrong. He was taught this in sunday school and had a legalistic church view. He didn’t get saved until he was 39, last year! He said well how can you ever be sure. The bible talks about ever learning and never coming to the knowledge of the truth. Ouch right? Fortunately, God stepped into our lives and we got to see a few overt miracles, and he could no longer be unsure.

I love the story of what your aunt did. That is so amazing.

11. Anthea says

Karen

Are you really on T’Internet at 6.17 am? That’s dedicated!! It’s 3pm here!

Wow, Jennie, thanks so much for that testimony! And what appropriate Scripture. It certainly is all about grace, is it not!?!?!?

Anthea, I am disgustingly cheerful at 4:30 am. The only time I am online at night is if I have had too much coffee in the evening, which I try to avoid! :)

14. emr says

Re: debate
    I’m reminded of my dad (a pastor for 35 years) saying, “You can’t argue people into the kingdom. You have to love them in.”

Re: apologetics
    One of my sons, in studying Christian apologetics, was drawn to and eventually joined the Catholic church. I do not say that as a negative, because he is a Godly young man who is following Christ and I’m extremely proud of him. I always told my children, “Don’t let other people do your thinking for you,” and he didn’t. However, I don’t think that’s where most evangelicals expect apologetics to lead.

Karen, I’m looking forward to your podcasts with the Moore family. They were so steadfast supporting homeschoolers even when Dr. Moore was being attacked. They kept their eye on the family and not on power or control.
    It was great to read about your Aunt Edith and her mission work.

16. Kelley Wallace says

Thanks so much for this beautiful article. I am a new reader of your blog and follow you on Facebook. Thank you for being a Titus 2 woman to younger homeschooling moms. We need your perspective!

17. kh says

I have read Ken Ham’s book..”Already Gone”. I do agree that there are many young people leaving the church. I absolutely Do Not agree that it is because of the age segregated Sunday School Classes and all that. I do agree that in many churches(we have been in some) that Biblical things are not always taught. Parents need to know what is going on in there kids classes!! Ask your kid..talk about it. If it’s know good and they won’t change it..Pull them out of there. Or better yet..Teach it to them!

18. Granddad says

I need some survey-type information to help me as a work on an essay.

Why do/did you homeschool?
    1. Dissatisfied with the state of the local public schools.
    2. There was no available private (non-religious)school.
    3. There was no available Christian school I wanted to send my kids to.

Thanks,

19. kh says

I personally began homeschooling our oldest daughter(now 28yrs.)because she was having problems reading.They taught the sight method.She even went to “summer school” because they told me it would really help.It did not.They pretty much watched television because the teacher had so many kids. I continued homeschooling because I saw the fruit in the life of my daughter..and 5 kids later..and still homeschooling the two youngest in high-school. We did check out a couple of Christian Schools later but it was like an extra mortgage payment..lol. The Lord gave me the grace to continue!!

20. Jerzy says

Hi Granddad,

I started homeschooling because I hate getting up in the morning!

Okay, seriously. I knew I could teach my kids just as well, if not better, than any teacher. And I just didn’t want to miss out on their lives.

So I didn’t start out with any of the reasons you outlined, but I ended up with #4.

21. Susan T says

For Grandad

Why do/did you homeschool?
    1. Dissatisfied with the state of the local public schools. — Yes: Heard reports that parents were not welcome in the local school. School had just changed to all day K. Principal could not give me a logical reason for doing so. Bus ride was going to be 40 minutes one way to travel 5 miles. We were expecting a baby and I didn’t want to take baby in the car twice a day and have 5 yr old miss out on on all the fun at home. Figured for the next two years until legal schoo, age of seven, we could easily work on the 3 R’s at home.
    2. There was no available private (non-religious)school. — Yes: available 20 miles away + too expensive & driving issue above.
    3. There was no available Christian school I wanted to send my kids to. Yes: available 20 miles away + too expensive, ditto driving.
    4. Believe homeschooling best reflects God’s design for the total education of children. No. Believe homeschooling is one of a few education methods which allow us to love God, and love others as we love ourselves. God calls different individuals & families to different education methods & life activities for different reasons but all for the same purpose – building up our faith & obedience to Him so we will eventually reflect Him and tell others about Him, for their salvation and for His glory.

22. Anthea says

Hello Grandad

None of the above. First, the reasons we began were different from the reasons we continue, because before you begin home educating there is a “push” factor that is about what you don’t like about school; then once you start there is a “pull” towards parent-led education. Second, our reasons were more systemic than about local schools.

Why did we start home edding? My reason: the National Curriculum in the UK had created a top-down, centrally-controlled system, with a culture focused on teaching to the test and an ever-narrower range of topics.**

Husband’s reason: He said, “We can’t send this child to school. School will make’m stupid. You don’t know what goes on in those places. I’m telling you, school will make’m stupid.” Child was as yet unborn, by the way.

Why do we carry on?

My reason: We are all having a great time, and it’s going all right — why would we stop? Besides, we can’t send them to school — my husband and I would be nightmares at Parents’ Evening, with all our “Why?” questions.

Husband’s reason: Why would we want to send them to school?

Children’s reason: We get to eat snacks while we are learning. [That’s deep, man.]

23. Anthea says

** Academic footnote to my comment, namely a quotation from Charlotte Mason:

“We hold that great things, such as nature, life, education, are ‘cabined,cribbed,confined’ in proportion as they are systematised. We have a METHOD of education, it is true, but method is no more than a way to an end, and is free, yielding, adaptive as Nature itself … System, on the contrary, has an infinity of rules and instructions as to what you are to do and how you are to do it…

“Does Nature endow every young thing, child or kitten, with a wonderful capacity for inventive play? Nay, but says System, I can help here; I will invent games for the child nad help his play, and make more use of this power of his than unaided Nature knows how. So Dame System teaches the child to play, and he enjoys it; but, alas, there is no play in him, no initiative, when he is left to himself; and so on, all along the lines. System is fussy and zealous and produce enormous results — in the teacher!”

from ‘Parents and Children’ pg 168 (Tyndale House 1989)

I am enjoying everyone’s story and am so glad Granddad asked!

I am not certain our answer is found in your list either. The two reasons we began homeschooling is that we wanted our children to have an education based on a Biblical worldview AND we wanted to be with them! We had considered homeschooling initially when the oldest three were preschoolers back in the 1970’s but didn’t really begin to form our own philosophy of education until a few years later.

We have come to consider homeschooling to be one of several aspects of discipling our children and over the years have grown to see more and more aspects of the government system to purposefully work against efforts of discipleship.

We have also come to see any sort of formal education system to be stiffling for most children and not conducive to learning outside the box. Highly recommend reading The Outliers and John Taylor Gatto just to get your wheels turning!

Another thought I had…perhaps it would be better if parents could see their roles as teachers s primary and formal education as secondary. Just think about that for a bit…..

26. kh says

One more thing I thought I would share and everyone might think is really funny!! (I did). When my oldest son had been out of school for a few years,he came home for dinner one night and stated..”I sure am glad you home-schooled me because there for sure are some weird people out there”!! I cracked up!!

27. kh says

Perhaps it would be better if parents could see their roles as teachers as primary and formal education as secondary.

Thanks Karen..and yes I have thought of that often but after homeschooling my whole life(some days it feels like it..lol)..Thanks for that Great Reminder as I finish up my two high schoolers!!